Prakasham BarragePrakasham Barrage holds the distinctive significance of defining the city of Vijayawada. Along with being a connecting way from Krishna district to Guntur district, this structure imparts a Venetian look to the city of Vijayawada. The dam provides the skeletal framework for agriculture flourishing in the in and around the city of Vijayawada.
Structure of Prakasham BarrageThis majestic structure is a whooping 1223.5 meters in length. It transverses the Krishna River and is located towards the outskirts of the city of Vijayawada.This is one of the vital sources of irrigation to support the massive agriculture infrastructure in the city of Vijayawada. Three canals, originating from the north side of the Prakasham Barrage, namely Eluru, Bandar and Ryves transverse the city of Vijayawada. It also feeds the Buckingham canal, initially constructed as an inlet for inland navigation, but then used for irrigation purposes.
History of Prakasham BarrageThe concept of constructing a dam over River Krishna dates back to the year 1798 when Captain Buckle decided to provide it the basic framework. The project was revised again in the year 1839 and 1841 by Captain Best and Captain Lake. The final official approval to the project was passed by the Board of Directors of East India Company on 5th January 1850. The dam was built over a span of three years from 1852 to 1855. A bridge was constructed by the State Government and the name was derived from the first Chief Minister of the state of Andhra Pradesh, Shri Tangaturi Prakasham. The construction of the bridge was completed in the year 1957. Prakasham Barrage was the first successful irrigation project completed in South India.
Tourism Aspect of Prakasham BarrageAny tour around the city of Vijayawada is incomplete without a visit to the Prakasham Barrage. The best time to visit it is in the months of November to March when the city cools down under the influence of the balmy winters. The bridge is open to visit at all times of the day. Right to the side of the Prakasham Barrage lies the Krishnaveni Mandapam, a museum dedicated to the River Krishna.
The lake-like reservoir formed by the barrage is a site of significance for pilgrims. The lake is named Koneru in honor of Goddess Kanaka Durga. This lake is thronged by pilgrims during Dussehra who come here to bathe in the holy water.